Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Tasty Garden


288 W Valley Blvd
Ste 110

Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 300-8262
www.tastygarden.us

Tasty Garden was a pleasant reminder of why I resorted to eating fast food while vacationing in Beijing. Why would you name a place Tasty Garden, it just builds expectations that obvious will never be met. If I opened a restaurant with Tasty Garden's menu, I would call it dog shit. At least that way, you've guaranteed my satisfaction and it can only go upward from there. This is easily the worst of my Cheap Eats journey thus far. I'm just appeased by the meal's conclusion.




$2.95 Fresh Cantaloupe Juice (6)
This is the first time I've tried cantaloupe juice and found quite enjoyable. The only downside was it seemed the juice was sitting out for a while from the taste of the fibers in the drink.




$5.50 Marinated Duck Tongue and Peanut (3)
The South has pig feet, Mexican have cabeza, and the Chinese have the remaining 90 strange animal body parts including duck tongue. The weirdest part was that duck tongue actually has a bone, so you spit it out similar to a chicken wing, the only difference is that I've been eating chicken wings since I was 12. The sauce can only be described as musky and somber and do nothing but create gelatinous peanuts.




$7.50 Preserved Meat with Rice in Hot Pot (0)
A combination of preserved chicken, pork, and duck served over steaming hot rice. This is up..down there among the worst dishes I have ever had. I even had to keep on eating it as I couldn't believe I was being charged for something that bad. Albeit, I was gravely cautioned by the waitress that it was an acquired taste.




$9.25 Baked Seafood Rice with Portuguese Sauce (7)
If it wasn't for this dish, we would have had to make a run for the border on the way home. The sauce was harmonious blend of curry and coconut milk incorporating shrimp and fresh fish. And in regards to its origin, it's actually from Macau, China that was a Portuguese colony until 1999.

Needless to say, I won't be returning any lifetime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment