Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

Langer's

704 S Alvarado St
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 483-8050


Langer's, the iconic Jewish deli in Los Angeles, was established in 400BC, but I haven't managed to get there due to the limited operating hours. They have the traditional Tanakh length menu highlighted by several pastrami sandwiches. On my visit, I also wanted to get the liver & onions, just to understand how that dish even makes restaurant menus. But I've heard the chickens are force fed and I won't support that.

So, what is pastrami? You basically take beef brisket, the underside of the cow's belly, and brine it (salt and water), dry it, season it, smoke it, then mark it up 300%. That's pastrami in a nutshell. Here's a simplified home version:

(video)





The food arrived 3 minutes after we ordered it and they will serve you as long as you get in the door before 4PM.




$12.25 #19 Pastrami, Swiss Cheese and Coleslaw, Russian Style Dressing (9)
This is the best pastrami sandwich I have had. The only relative comparison I have is Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich in Montreal and Langer's was better. The meat was amazingly tender and went great with the rye, coleslaw, and dressing.




$11.60 Hot Pastrami and Swiss Cheese (7)
I got this one with on a French roll. The pastrami was just as good. I just gave it a lower rating because it's best served on rye and it was better with coleslaw and the dressing.

Other reviews I have read tend to complain about the prices and the limited hours, 8AM - 4PM. And I would tend to agree with both. There is, however, free parking a block east of the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment